Kids Are Our Future
I have begun my quest in teaching children how to eat healthier and live healthier lives. This is extremely important in light of the growing obesity epidemic in children and teens in our country. One way to help kids eat better is to teach them how to make healthier choices, and to show them how to start making these good decisions at an early age. Here are some tips that will help your children grow up happier and healthier:
1. Cook with your children. Find a simple job for them to do and let them do it. It will get them excited about what they are eating for dinner and encourage them to try something new.
2. Eat a meal with your family as often as possible, but at least twice a week.
3. Make dinner a routine. Whether or not you are eating with them, keep the time consistent.
4. Children don’t know everything, so when you are grocery shopping talk to them about the food you are buying.
5. Lead by example. Make sure you are eating healthy, and that they see you eat this way.
6. Treats are fine (McDonalds, Taco Bell, chips, candies) in moderation.
7. Watch the Food Network together.
8. Look up recipes on the internet and make them together.
9. Create lists of vegetables and let your child check off that they have tried them, even if they like them or not. Six months later do it all over again.
10. Don’t make food a battle.