Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Cast Iron Curse

One night, after entertaining for many hours and sending the last guest home, I tackled the dreaded mess in the kitchen. At the party I had served a beautiful on-the-go kind of meal, and used a cast iron skilled to mix together a delicious goat cheese and tomato sauce spread. I didn’t want to leave it sitting there till morning, so I got to work.

Of course, with a few too many glasses of wine in my system, washing dishes was probably not the best idea. Luckily, I made it through all the plates without incident, applauded myself, and went to bed. So, in the morning, I entered my kitchen expecting to find my dishes spotless. But sadly, that was not the case. Instead, I found my once black cast iron dishes now covered in large orange spots.

Panicked, I called my mom and she calmly told me to pour salt on the orange spots and then rub them with a damp cloth. Just like that, the rust was gone (although now it was all over my towel!). Lesson learned! Next time, I’ll dry my dishes thoroughly.

Happy Cooking! Mary

No comments: